With summer upon us, I see soooo many kids in the sun at the pool - and wonder if they have sunscreen on (Which they probably do) and if their moms know about the effects of sun on their little bodies.
Did you know that 80% of a person's sun exposure is BEFORE the age of 18?! So who is responsible for a child's skin before 18? Well... probably before 14 or 15, because after that, kids do what they want :-) But the parents do! It is crucial for parents to protect their child's skin! But it is also crucial to protect your own skin, even as an adult. Skin cancer is the most prevalent form of cancer in the US and the numbers just continue to rise. It is shown that even 1 or 2 bad burns during a child's life can SIGNIFICANTLY increase the risk that the child develop skin cancer. It is not worth it!!!!
For kids, we need to apply sunscreen every couple of hours. It was also shown that parents who applied sunscreen to their kids at the beginning of the play time, let their kids stay out in the sun MUCH more than kids with no sunscreen - so there is still the same amount of damage being done. Sunscreen needs to be applied every 2-3 hours. Also, for every 1 day in the sun, a part of the eye is burned - causing an increased chance of cataracts when the child becomes older. So eye protection is crucial as well! Hats, rash guards, sunscreen, sunglasses - all very important!!
We are here to protect our children - I would be devastated if Cy got skin cancer later on in life because of "exposure to the sun" or developed cataracts because of the sun. I will do everything I can, to make sure he does not burn... and after researching tonight - we will be getting some sunglasses for the little dude :-)
Now on to adults - we also need protection! They say we should apply 15-30SPF on our skin DAILY and to not use tanning beds (as much as I LOVE them). So, what is the solution, because I gotta have my tan on during the year! It's just not "me" to be white but I also don't want to be fighting cancer at an early age and putting my kids through that. That is why I love love love Arbonne's befoRE Sun Self Tanner. People - this stuff is INCREDIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It tans me - BROWN - not orange. It's super easy to spray on, it has never streaked on me, and it lasts for a while. It is perfect! It's amazing & I will forever be using it! Bring on the sunscreen! I don't need more than a few minutes in the sun unprotected each day (Sun exposure is important for natural vitamin D to be absorbed so, it is suggested that we stay in the sun for a few minutes BEFORE applying sunscreen, so we can reap the benefits of the sun) - and I'll just get my tan from a healthy source :-) Here is the amazing Self Tan :-)
So please protect your child/ren and yourself in the sun this year - it's very important for prolonged health and to help prevent skin cancer. It's totally worth it to be pasty white and live another 20 years and I'm sure your kids will feel the SAME way when they are our age, so let's protect them NOW, so that they have a choice and a chance to make the decision whether or not to age from the sun.
No comments:
Post a Comment