As of late - playdates have WORN ME OUT! I come home exhausted, looking for the nearest seat, while throwing Cy into his bed for a much needed nap! I often get much heat about going to these playdates. Why go if it makes me tired?! Why not just stay home, sit on my tushy and relax all day?!
So, I started looking up the pros of playdates. While I understand taking it easy is very important, especially when 8 months pregnant and already having a difficult pregnancy - I also understand the absolute importance that playdates have for both baby and mommy.
For myself, it's a great way to become a better rounded mom. I get to see other's opinions and their raising techniques. While I don't have to agree with all the parenting styles - it's a great way to see new ones and to look at how mine are working or not working for myself and my child. It's also great for change of scenery! I do not get to have lunch breaks every day and change scenery for an hour. When staying home with Cy - I am in the same walls of my house that I have been in for the last 2 years - so it's nice to get out and about and change my scenery. It rejuvenates me and gives me extra energy/strength/patience to get through the rest of the time. yes, like I said - I am more tired at the end of the day, but I'm also happier mentally after seeing Cy run around and have a great time, or being able to chat inbetween chasing toddlers with other moms.
For Cy - there are far more pros! For these, I will list because he obviously can't speak for himself and well.... I don't want this to be a long blog ;-)
1. He gets social interaction - which is HUGE for kids! To learn to SHARE, sit at a table and eat together, trade, say "thank you" or "please", negotiate (there is a lot of this with toddlers ha!), respond to other adults, patience - wow! The list could go on and on! Cy has a hard time sharing and he used to have a really hard time controlling his temper. Within a week of playdates and amazing "time outs" for when he was hitting ;-) - he was 100% better and does not hit hardly AT ALL! I credit that ALL to playdates and being able to practice with other kids! (Didn't I say I was gonna just list these pros off?? oops)
2. He gets out of the house and also gets to have a change of scenery - maybe even a backyard, which he does not get here
3. Helps with independence - any of my friends can say that Cy has gone through his EXTREMELY clingy stages - and with playdates, I am giving him the strength and opportunity to play WITHOUT me - and let me tell you - it is paying off!!! He gets more and more brave with each playdate
4. He learns who his FRIENDS are and also learns from them! After playdates, I notice Cy has picked up on a new skill or a new word - this is awesome and MUCH needed for his development! I can tell he tries to communicate more and shows excitement to his friends' names :-) This = playdate SUCCESS! :-D
These are just a few pros that I found. But they are enough for me! So despite my exhaustion with the pregnancy, I will not "punish" Cy with no playdates so mommy can sit on her tushy. I'm gonna be as active as possible because it's for the best for HIM... and it helps mommy, even in the midst of exhaustion, keep what little sanity she has left during these last 5 weeks of pregnancy ;-)
No comments:
Post a Comment