Fouladi Family

Fouladi Family

Tuesday, December 17, 2013

It all started with a Full Moon

Here it is - the birth story.  Cue lights.  Cue music.  Cue excitement. Ok, ok - maybe none of those are needed.  Because this story - this is one for the books.

My water broke on a Saturday.  I was 23 weeks pregnant and feeling miserable that day.  I am not one to run to the ER - at all! Ask my closest friends and family - even for labor - I wait until the last possible moment to go.  Um, the Co-Pay just is NOT worth the "false alarm" that I may get.

I went to the ER and it was there that they told me that my water had broken and the baby would more than likely be born in the next 2 days.  48 hours.  I laid on the table, in extreme pain, bleeding heavily, crying.  But not crying - because when I would get upset, I would contract and bleed - thus putting Darius in more distress.  They started me on Mag immediately (NOT a walk in the park people! I hate mag! If I even have to take Mag again - I will cry.  It is the WORST feeling medicine that has even been pumped into me.  Awful!) and steroids to help D's lungs to develop faster.  They kept me in L&D for those 48 hours - waiting for labor.  Nothing.  So I was moved to a Antepartum room.

Labor started 2 more times.  Mag was started each time for 24 hours.  I received 6 units of blood in 2 blood transfusions.  And I cannot count how many times doctors came into my room to give me "odds" of D's survival and quality of life.  I think I have counted 5 times that I was asked throughout pregnancy and even in the hospital if I wanted to "change the course of the pregnancy".  The stats of what D could face in life were exhausting.  DAILY from Week 23 until 24.2 - doctors from NICU would come in and ask what measures I wanted taken if D was to come that day.  Daily.  It was exhausting! I had to hear new stats each day, while remaining calm because each time I got upset, i would contract and bleed, and make the hardest decision that I have ever had to make - would we pump him full of drugs to bring him back, would we do chest compressions - breaking his tiny ribs and putting him through agonizing pain, would we resuscitate...these questions asked daily.  And your answer - your answer was NEVER good enough.  For judgement and disagreement would follow - because each doctor had their own opinion and want - and they never matched the other doctor.  At times I would get 2 doctors wanting 2 different things, in the room with me, while I made the decision and have to sit through doctor A agreeing with me while doctor B was trying to get me to change my mind.

Well - we made it to week 25.  BIG stuff people! Big stuff! The questions STOPPED - because at 25 weeks, it's the law that they save the baby - FINALLY - he's considered a HUMAN, LIVING BEING!!!!!!

Saturday I felt bad.  Tired.  Depressed.  Worn out.  Was having contractions - so we started mag AGAIN.  We started an IV for another transfusion to get me ready for an emergency c-section.  I was spent.  I called Ash (who had been working and taking care of the kids) and asked that he come be with me.  i was too tired and needed support from him and my mom.  They stayed with me overnight as the mag was forced at high speed through my veins and the blood was pushed on the other arm.  At this point, finding a vein was near impossible.  I had blown all the "good sites" with all the transfusions and mag and IV fluids that had been going in for weeks now.  We were on my "last good one" before a picline would need to be placed.

I got through Saturday. Sunday - I told them I was still having contractions.  But since they weren't reading on the monitor and I had been on Mag for 24 hours - they took me off Mag and disregarded the contractions.  Sunday night, my pain increased.  The contractions had me breathing through them.  I couldn't take pain meds because D's heart rate always dropped with pain meds.  So I took an ambien to try and sleep.  From 12 am - 4 am I dreamt labor.  So weird - but true - I still remember the dream of me in labor :-) I woke at 4 and was unable to handle the contractions.  I buzzed my nurse and again was told that I was just "uncomfortable" and that no contractions were reading on the monitor.  The lady was NOT listening to me as I told her that I have always had back labor and even my two other kids never set off the monitors very much.

Around 5 am - I sat up, the pressure was too much and i was in too much pain.  I asked for 1/2 a dose of pain meds to take off the edge.  The pain medicine did NOT touch it.  For another 2 hours I breathed through contractions - while telling the nurse I was in labor - and being told it was "nothing".  They checked me at 7 am and said I was 0 dilated (funny because I came in being 2 cm dilated)...? Everyone proceeded to leave - while I was still in extreme pain and breathing through contractions.

Around 7:30 - I looked at my mom and asked for an epidural.  I couldn't handle it anymore.  I was sitting straight up to keep D from pushing down too hard - hoping that putting pressure on my cervix would keep him in.  No one was listening to me.  No one believed me.  I was in labor.  Miserable, in pain, and felt all alone.  My mom told me to hang on for the doctors, that they would round in the next 30 minutes and we could ask for an epidural then.
Right before 8 am - I tell mom that I had the urge to push.  "I have to push!" Mom: "WHAT?!?!" Me: "I have to push *starting to push, at this point I feel his head coming out* Mom - he's coming - I have to push - get someone!!!"
Mom: Runs out to the hall - looking for my nurse.  She is nowhere to be found.  Mom runs back in and pushed the call button.
Call Lady: "Yes?"
Mom: "Um... she has to push?!?!"
Call Lady... has hung up.

Mom runs back out to the hall - looking for nurse.
I am all alone.  In a dark room.  Alone and scared and freaking out because my 25 weeker is about to be born and THERE IS NO ONE HERE!!!!!!
I start screaming: "I'M PUSHING!!! HELP ME! I'M PUSHING! HE'S COMING!!! HELP!!!!!!!"
Words cannot describe the amount of panic and fear I felt.  I was walking myself through all the knowledge I had about birthing.  Grab him by his neck, pull him out, leave his cord intact because that breaths for him, wrap him up fast because he can't maintain temp......... and the facts kept flooding in - all the while i was desperate.  Desperate for a hand to hold.  Desperate for a doctor to come, who could save my boy.  Desperate for NICU with oxygen and tools to come.  Desperate.  Desperate for help.

Moments later, in runs my entire team of doctors.  The nurse asked for me to open my legs so she can "check me and make sure it's real labor" - My reply (perturbed that they STILL didn't believe me!!!!): IF I OPEN MY LEGS - HE'S COMING OUT! SO I'M KEEPING THEM CLOSED!
Nurse: *Shocked and scared* "Um, ya - no, keep them closed, that's good.  ok.  ya."

The Csection kit is opened for an emergency c-section.  The bed is being messed with and I hear "How do we break down the bed?!?!!" a reply from behind the doctor: "We don't - this is antepartum" Doctor:  "then what do we do?!" Nurse: "Um, deliver on the bed - there's no time"
..........Yes - that really did happen.  In front of a scared, freaking out mom who is birthing a 25 week baby.  Yep.

His heart rate is checked - all looks good so the doctor decided that it was best to delivery him vaginally.  I ask for them to make sure NICU is in the room before I open my legs.  "NICU is here and setting up, they should be ready by the time he's here".  I begin to push.  A few moments later - my 2 lb 7 oz baby is born.  He is crying on his own.  He looks amazing! Some random guy was holding him (NOT my doctor) and started cutting his cord.  I immediately yell at him "Do NOT cut that cord until the oxygen is set up! I am breathing for him right now!!!" Poor, scared man looks back, ensures oxygen is set up and looks to me, "It's ready" and cuts his cord.  Final scene of this story - sweet boy is passed to a nurse, who trips and nearly drops him - gets him to the bed, aaaand close scene.

God truly blessed us that Monday morning.  Things could have gone SOOOO much worse. We were NOT prepared to deliver him in antepartum.  It was in the middle of shift change and had I had my horrible night nurse - the outcome would have been awful.  The morning nurse had been my nurse before and knew me and was more competent to help in assisting in the delivery.  We were blessed.

Even now, writing this - I am filled with emotion.  I am scared.  I have tears in my eyes.  I am grateful.  I am sad.  I am just every emotion one can feel.  Such an awful delivery.  Such a miraculous delivery.  Such a scary, quick delivery.  Such a blessing to have a vaginal delivery.  Just so many thoughts and feelings.  I don't even know how to end this post.  I'm all over the page - overwhelmed

See? One for the books.

2 comments:

  1. I should have been there.. ~sadface. You and Darius did great! He is here to do something AMAZING in his life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sariah, What an amazing, terrible, wonderful experience. Terrible for the poor medical care when you needed it most. Terrible that doctors would even consider not saving a baby who might have a chance at life just because he's 2 days before 25 weeks. Amazing for God's protection and that D could breathe on his own at 25 weeks. We are still praying every day for you and little D and the rest of your family.

    ReplyDelete