Fouladi Family

Fouladi Family

Friday, April 22, 2011

Terrible 2's and Patience

I am beat tonight. I am exhausted, I have cried as much as I care to. I am emotional and in pain from Thumper. It's just been a bad day for the most part. Bad but good. Had a great time at the pool, Cy finally took a nap today (first real nap in 3 days), and I won a few battles with him during the day (biggest accomplishment right there!)

As I look on my role as a mother, I find that I was not prepared or warned about this. Or maybe I was, and I never listened ;-) But seriously - this has got to be the hardest "job" I have ever had to do. Staying home with a very stubborn, fussy, defiant 21 month old - 7 days a week, 24 hours day - that'll do anyone in! And while everyone has the "answer", the fact of the matter is - NO ONE DOES! We all have suggestions and ideas, but no one has "the answer" - no one but God. So why do I always bang my brain trying to figure out how to deal with this "terrible 2, coming early" stage of Cyrus'? I need to start praying more. Asking for more patience, understanding, and love.

So tonight I was looking up scriptures and just begging for encouragement. I am run down as far as I can be tonight. You try taking a 21 month old into Target, only to have him scream the entire 45 minutes. NO I did not give him anything he was screaming for - I was standing firm... hence the screaming. Oh dear! See? Told you he was stubborn! ;-)

Anyway, I love this scripture:
...but we[c] also glory in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; 4 perseverance, character; and character, hope. 5 And hope does not put us to shame, because God’s love has been poured out into our hearts through the Holy Spirit, who has been given to us. Romans 5:3-5

I would lable my growing pains with Cy as sufferings ;-) They are... it's been a hard week. But through suffering, I gain perseverance. Through perseverance, character - who doesn't long for a stronger character?! And my favorite - through character - HOPE. I have hope. I love that!

Parenting is NOT easy! And many times I find that moms are afraid to talk about their struggles - didn't you get the memo? Mom's can't be weak or feel like "failures" - we are strong, unwavering, and indistructable! HA!!!! Well you might be (wink wink) - but I'm not! I'm human. I call it as it is. This is hard! Parenting is hard. But I love being a mom!! I super-dee-duper do! ;-) Even the hard times - I love it. because for a brief moment in between the hard times, there is that ray of sunshine from your child: a hug, a kiss, a new word learned, bed time (ha!).

“Perseverance is not a long race; it is many short races one after the other” - Walter Elliot

So moms out there - who are sitting in bed crying like I find myself on occasion. You are not alone! Being a mom is NOT easy, and never will be. But it's worth it and it's just short races one after the other - so inbetween those races - enjoy the kid :-) Love the kid, and grow that little extra bit of patience for when the next "race" starts :-)

1 comment:

  1. Hey girl! Good thoughts. Character and perseverance...that is a great legacy to pass on to your son as he grows. Being a mom is foreign yet desired by me...but I do think it's a fair assessment that God allows trials so that the sweetness of joy is more powerful!

    Hang in there, someday these years will be missed :)

    ReplyDelete