Fouladi Family

Fouladi Family

Thursday, January 26, 2012

5 love languages

Today at MOPS, we talked about the 5 Love Languages.  I have already heard about them and done them with Ash... though (don't tell him) I forget what his are (... ok, ok, no I don't really USE them... I blame the 2 kids, lack of sleep, and crazy holiday hours... for now... until another excuse comes up).  Anyway, I snagged a few tests so I can be reminded of what his are again... but the speaker said something that really struck me! These can also be used on your children! Cy has been going through a very very very very very (enough "very" in there yet? no, I don't think so...) very very defiant stage right now and I have found myself yelling more and more each day.  While patience is something I am working on :-D It's hard when you are going on so little sleep.  But this hit home and made me want to show Cy the 5 love languages each and every day.  I want to see what kind of change I see in him, if I just show him love.  And hopefully through this, I can find out which ones are on the top of his "needs" and focus more on those. 

1. Words of Affirmation (Encouragement, compliment the character)
    *I did this tonight - thanked him for being a big brother and he was sooo sweet to Lulu for the next 2 seconds haha so perhaps doing this more would help
2. Physical Touch (Hugs, Holding hands, cuddling)  
3. Acts of Service (Helping him...Now, I really don't think this is for me to say "Well, I made his dinner and presented him is meal - I am serving.  I think of this as what HE wants help with.  Talking to Pooh Bear or going out of my way to build a super awesome train rail)
4. Quality Time (An emotional connection... don't be doing something else.  Give them 100% of your attention for even a few minutes) A friend of mine said that kids need 20 minutes of undivided attention a day from us.  I am aiming for that.  To put the phone down, Lulu in bed, and giving him 20 minutes.  I am also going to give Lulu the same amount of attention
5. Receiving Gifts (Ya... they get enough from us... I'm gonna be ignoring this one - ha!)

I will be focusing on giving Cy each of these every day and praying for God's blessings on my efforts with my son.  I feel like I am treading water here and would love to see some positive change in Cy soon.  I encourage you to try as well to fulfill the childrens' Love Needs... oh, and if you want - feel free to put it in practice in your marriage or relationships too ;-)

My cup runneth over

No comments:

Post a Comment