So my friend, Jessica, just wrote a blog about the 10 things she's learned in 10 days :-) She just became a mom of 2 as well - and I enjoyed reading it sooo much, that I thought I would steal her idea ;-) Thanks Jessica ;-)
It's funny, as a mom of 2, so much changes and for all those mamas who are going to be a mom of 2 soon - enjoy ;-)
1. Never say "This is Easy" - HA! That was my mistake the first 2 weeks of Lulu's life. "Oh this is easy... I can do this" - because it just gets harder. Week 3 was tough and this week has been even tougher. Right when I think I am getting into the swing of things, God throws another obsticle at me and I gotta readjust me whole way of thinking, breathing, doing... all over again!
2. Laughter goes a LONG way!!! - I just have to laugh during the day. If not, I will have tears half the time. Ok, maybe not half the time... but when I am running my toddler to the toilet while poo is falling from his tushy - yeah, laughter is definately the way to go. My friend, Erin, gave me a paper with advice and one was "A toddler laughs 300 times a day - strive for that". So that's what I now read every day and I now strive to laugh, 300 times a day
3. ENJOY the new baby! - With Cy, I was so worried about his jaundice and breastfeeding, and changing him, and sleeping patterns, and and and. I never got to ENJOY him like I would have liked to. With Lulu - I am enjoying every MOMENT with her. They also come so far and few between, what between caring for the house and toddler. So I am SOAKING up the Lulu-Love and enjoying those sleepless nights more than I did with Cy. Because it goes so fast and will be gone SO soon!
4. Clean as you go - I have never been one to clean as I go. I let the dishes get a mile high, and then decide that it's time to clean them all at once. Laundry was meant to be done 7-8 loads at a time. That was back then. Now with 2 - I clean as I go. I have to keep dishes done, I must do 1 load of laundry each day, and it is crucial to take the trash out on a daily basis! Otherwise, I get behind and it's very hard to catch up
5. Support is so important - I stole this one from Jessica ;-) But it is so true! With Cy, we lived with my mom for the first 2 months, so I had a ton of help! I got to shower and rest and relax during the week. Cy got to be held and be loved by all his family members. My mom cooked dinner each night and would help clean my bathroom. It was amazing! With Lulu - I am on my own. I cook my own meals, and Cy's. I do not have time for nightly showers, and the kids don't see family as much as Cy used to. I expected a greater support system this time around, it being #2, but got less. Just makes me notice how important support really is and how much I took it for granted when it was just Cy
6. You can chase a toddler to the bathroom while feeding the baby - Ha! I've gotten good at chasing Cy, while nursing Lulu. It's hard but not impossible. You know what's harder?? Cleaning up pee off the floor because Cy ALWAYS needs to go RIGHT when I start nursing... so problem solved! It might be tough, look ackward, and be weird but it gets the job done! And at this point - it's all about survival for both kids ;-)
7. A little crying never hurt anyone - I don't think I ever let Cy cry as much as I let Lulu cry. Of course she cries a lot lot lot more than Cy too because of her reflux. But With a toddler, I cannot jump to Lulu in a moments notice - she has to wait at least 30 seconds to a minute (no! I'm not talking about letting her cry for 5 minutes). Same with Cy - he falls and gets a booboo - well, you gotta either come to me or wait a few minutes until I am free to kiss your finger
8. Friends are crucial - With Cy, I never had any friends, never went to playdates, never really left the house. But now, with a toddler and new baby, I am starting to see how crucial friends are! And how much I need real friends more than ever! I need someone to be there through the thick and thin. I need someone to hold my hand and be so loving and kind - to help with Lulu while I run Cy to the bathroom (Thanks Maria haha). Friends are so important
9. You can sleep when you're dead - yeah, this is self-explanitory ;-) I'm too tired to explain - ha
10. Most importantly, Trust God!!! - I find myself praying a lot more now. And not just to ask for strength or that Cy poo in the potty - but in praise & thanksgiving too. God has given me such a beautiful family - i trust that He has a plan for all things & even when things are overwhelming - that He will never give me more than I can handle! From day 1 of potty training, I sat Cy on the potty & we asked God to help Cy, to make him comfy & not nervous. While some might not believe this - i firmly believe that God has helped this potty training go so well & I will continue to pray with Cy each time we are having a tough time. Also, Lulu's every 1 1/2 hour feeding at night - is a great time to pray & meditate
Just wait until I start potty training Rudy... I'll expect you to be the one running to the bathroom with him when he has to poo! ;-) Just kidding...sort of... lol.
ReplyDeleteGreat post! And of course, I don't mind you using my idea at all! :) Makes me look forward to how I'll feel in a month or so and seeing what else I learn. Totally understand chasing one while feeding the other. I had to give Hannah a time-out for trying to eat the dog food today while I was nursing Miriam. Not fun, but can be done! I'm ready to try to use my Moby wrap and see if I can nurse in it so I'll have my hands free to take care of Hannah.
ReplyDeleteSorry to hear the support wasn't as strong the second time. Seems like that might be the way it is. Once you've got one, people assume you're set to go. Not the case at all, but hey, at least we'll be prepared for it when number three comes along! :)