Fouladi Family

Fouladi Family

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Peanut Butter Banana Muffins

The other day, for activity time, Cy and I made Peanut Butter Banana Muffins.  It was so fun! I love baking with Cy - he is starting to repeat everything and baking is a perfect time to talk about measurements, practice his skills of dumping everything in the bowl and not all over the floor, and practice listening (Don't touch that, don't dump that, don't do that, don't eat that - you get the point).  I found this recipe off a health website and it's amazing! We made mini muffins which are great for portion control and snacks :-)

Another idea I had was to tape Cy's used paper down on the floor to help with clean up. It was so awesome! All the sudden I didn't stress if he spilt egg on the floor because I knew I was just going to wrap up the paper and be done with it!
Ha - he was trying to figure out whether or not to "listen" and put the salt down... or dump the salt ;-) *See the paper on the floor? Recycled and awesome!*

We got to baking - I let him add everything himself and crack the eggs.  We talked about the difference between wet and dry, observed the different sizes of measuring cups, and felt everything!!


Here is the recipe, give it a try!!

Peanut Butter Banana Muffins


Makes 12 Muffins

3/4 cup all-purpose flour

3/4 cup whole wheat flour

3/4 cup quick-cooking oats

2 teaspoons baking powder

1/2 teaspoons salt

2 large eggs, beaten

2 ripe bananas, mashed (about 1 cup)

3/4 cup 1% low-fat milk

1/2 cup brown sugar

1/3 cup creamy peanut butter

2 tablespoons canola oil

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1/4 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips

1/4 cup roasted peanuts, coarsely chopped (or finely chopped if your kids prefer them that way)

Preheat oven to 350F. Lightly oil or coat 12 muffin cups with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.

Whisk together the all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, oats, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl.

In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs, banana, milk, brown sugar, peanut butter, oil, and vanilla until well blended. Pour the liquid ingredients over the dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Stir in the chocolate chips and chopped peanuts.

Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin cups. Bake about 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Transfer the pan to a wire rack and cool for 5 minutes. Remove the muffins and cool an additional 5 minutes before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment